Thursday, September 1, 2011

Nadine #Dorries : The Saturday Interview

Snippet taken from article and my take after reading this, Nadine Dorries is an olive short of a pizza !

Quote

I am interested in her take on abstinence but, if I’m honest, only mildly – I don’t think it’s going to go anywhere.

Anyway, she begins emotively: “I went to Leyton to speak to a group of girls; they were all black, they were all aged between 15 and 18. And they all had one baby each. And every one of them supported what I was trying to do on abstinence teaching.” She says it as though she’d happened upon the UK community in which sex education had gone so wrong that the whole world had got pregnant.
But on closer examination, it turns out this was a meeting specifically set up for her to encounter teenage mothers. I can’t believe this is a good basis for policy – get an MP to meet some sitting ducks who would all (as any of us would, especially if we were 15) agree out of politeness. But that is not all! “I’ve been in a number of sex education lessons in schools over the past year or so. I would ask [the teacher] at the end of it, ‘When that girl asked you, should she be having sex, and she was 14, you said it was dependent on her and her wishes and her feelings. Do you think that was the right thing to be saying to a 14 year old?’ And they’d say, ‘That’s all we’re allowed to say. We’re not allowed to be directional, we’re not allowed to talk about right or wrong, that’s all we’re allowed to say.’” But surely they would have been allowed to say, “Yeah, that’s great, except it’s illegal”? “No, they’re not."

Later I check this with the charity Brook, which sets the guidelines on sex ed. A teacher would normally tell a classroom that underage sex was illegal. Like the banana claim (Dorries said on The One Show she’d seen a class of seven-year-olds being shown how to put a condom on a banana), I can’t prove it never happened, but it sounds improbable.

Quite a lot of Dorries’s rhetoric occupies this territory: it doesn’t sound likely, but it’s totally unfalsifiable.

She gives me a lurid account of a late-term abortion she recently saw.

“Why did you see one recently?” I ask.

“Because I did.”

“So you went in, as an observer?”

“With the mother’s permission, holding the mother’s hand. I’m not going to say who it was or where it was.”

“Was it in this country?”

“I’m not going to say where it was, because there are so few, it would be too easy to identify.”

The point of the story is that the foetus thrashed about, and a bladed spoon was used to dismember it.

But I would also like to raise the question: who would take Nadine Dorries in with them, to have a “social” abortion at 24 weeks?